Florida Heat Hot Sauce!

I enjoy making different types of sauces, and with a good variety of hot peppers down at the market, I decided to start making some hot sauces. This one utilized the BPUs of 4 types of red peppers - three habaneros (orange actually), four long red hots, 1 cayenne, and 2 large red hots. Chopped, and placed in a blender - seeds and all - with about 1/3 cup of white vinegar, 1 cup of prepared salsa (tomatoes, various peppers, onions, garlic), 2 tablespoons of honey, and a handful of garlic cloves, and then blended until smooth. I then cooked the sauce over low heat for about twenty minutes, and jarred it. I'm letting it sit for a bit before trying - at least a week - and sharing two of the jars with friends, which I think is one of the best things about making and jarring hot sauces! Another fun thing is the creativity you can use to make hot sauces. Fruits, veggies, and hot peppers seem to go so well together, and in so many combinations. I'll try to keep a jar of my own on hand pretty consistently, and if I find friends who like them (and use them!), I should be making a bunch of them. If you enjoy the heat, you should definitely try your hand at making your own - and stay tuned for new ideas...

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can not wait to hear about how this turns out. Please post with the dish that you use or recommend what you think it would go great with.
d00g said…
For the record - I let the hot sauce sit unopened for about 2 weeks, and i was pleasantly surprised when i opened it. Super tasty, and usable - it's hot, but it doesn't blow you away, and it has a really nice flavor... I've had it straight on blue corn chips, and put some on a faux-chicken patty with veganaise and mustard. I also added some to an asparagus-mustard stir-fry that i have yet to post...