Okra Over My Cauliflower - Indian Style

Maybe they would call this Bhindi Gobi, I'm not sure, but either way, it was kind of a fun new dish that I haven't made before. What we have here is a baked head of cauliflower, on a bed of rice, covered with an okra-tomato Indian curry.
I'll start with the cauliflower - take the full head, brush it with olive oil and a little bit of tumeric and curry powders, add a little bit of water to the pan, and bake it. It took about 45 minutes until the cauliflower was soft enough so that when I dished it out, the serving spoon sort of just went right through. Then I took the short-grain brown rice that I've been using, and spooned it around the cauliflower.
For the okra-tomato curry, I used my array of spices (pictured here) to make my own sort of garam masala, which I cooked in oil before adding anything else. After cooking the spices for a few minutes, I added the chopped garlic, onion, and okra, and cooked them until the onions were translucent. Then I added the diced tomatoes, and let it cook on low for about 20 minutes or so. During this time I also added a tiny bit of cinnamon, and some more powdered garlic, just because I can't get enough of the stuff. Then I simply ladled the curry over the the cauliflower and rice, and it was ready to serve.

Comments

d00g said…
sad that nobody seems impressed by this one. i think i had the most fun making this one so far, and it may be my most creative.
plus i love indian!
Hannah said…
I think it looks fabulous doog! It sho would be nice if there were some reciples on here...... :)