Salt & Pepper Tofu with Green Stir Fry

After trying that salt & pepper tofu at Yummy House a couple of weeks ago, I have been wanting to try to put something similar together at home. So I gave it a shot, and served it with another stir fry and some brown rice.
Salt & Pepper Tofu: I cubed a half-block of tofu, breaded it with my salt & pepper mix, and pan fried it until the tofu started turning that golden brown. For my breading mix, I used seasoned bread crumbs, a good amount of ground salt, garlic, and pepper, and some spike seasoning. I rolled it around in the seasoning, and threw it in the pan. The breading didn't stay on as much as I had hoped, but it still cooked up to make a sort of salt, pepper, and garlic crumble, and topped with some fresh chopped cilantro, and I had myself a pretty good side of tofu.
Green Stir Fry: With a head of yummy broccoli, and some sweet peas in the fridge, I decided to make a simple stir fry to serve with the tofu. Chopped up the broccoli, a jalepeno for some spice, and threw in the snow peas, cooked it in a mixture of sesame and canola oil, tamari, and some thai fish sauce that I just picked up. Simple but yummy...

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have trouble cooking tofu. It always gets mushy - doesn't keep it's shape. Any tips?
kevin said…
My good tofu cooking tip is freezing it for three days. Go for firm or extra firm. If it comes in that plastic package, leave it in it and throw it in the freezer. 3 days or 3 weeks later simmer it in water for 15 mins or so. Compress the water out. I say use a spatula. It should be pretty firm now and have an awesome texture to it. cube it, half it, marinate it, bread it, no matter what it should taste terrific.

Good luck and keep cooking
d00g said…
in my experience with tofu, it seems to come out well if i cook it quick - usually on med-high heat. it also helps if i cook it alone or if i cook it with things that need to be 'tossed' or flipped pretty constantly. if it just sits in the pan and cooks, the mush tends to come out... and really, it's about experimentation to figure out how to make it in a way that pleases you - try and try again...